Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A small accomplishment

My time at the cottage in New Zealand was not nearly as productive as usual, but at least I am happy with the transformation of the cabinet I bought very cheaply on the New Zealand equivalent of eBay just before I left last year. The colour is a few shades darker than it shows in the photo (Resene 'Jasper').

It looks like it started life as a small cottage sideboard, along the way lost part of it's back and acquired a lot of bumps and bruises - most recently it was the drinks bar/workshop bench in a university student's garage - enough said! Now repurposed as bathroom/laundry storage it fits the spot perfectly...

This is how it looked before its makeover - stained and damaged top

and partially stripped front (sorry, this image is a little blurry)

The vintage wooden ladder that I bought last year hasn't been touched but I am at least happy to report that it has so far escaped being chopped up for firewood!

I had plans to launch into minis as soon as I got back to Sydney but having come from a predominantly cool and wet few weeks in the south of NZ to a heatwave in Sydney (35 today - expecting 39 on Friday) all plans are sidelined - trying to cool down is the priority! Spending tomorrow in the air-conditioned university library seems a pretty good option, classes start first week in March so a bit of preparation reading wouldn't be a bad idea - I could keep cool and feel virtuous at the same time :)

I didn't manage any blog reading time while I was in NZ but I hope to catchup slowly with at least some of the projects that you've been working on over the past few weeks. And I hope to have some progress on the front of the French brocante/apartment to show you before too long.

Lastly, a hearty welcome to those of you who have joined my blog over recent weeks :)


15 comments:

Restyled Vintage said...

Hi Norma, it seems that I have missed some of your posts for a while, no idea how, but it is nice to read what you are up to, and nice to know you have had some time back 'home' :)

Love the colour of that cabinet, what an improvement!

xx Karen

Sans! said...

It is really good to hear from you again after such a long while, Norma.

I declare your makeover of the cabinet a resounding success! :)

Susan@minicrochetmad said...

Welcome home Norma, hope you enjoyed your break! Love that shabby cabinet. Take it easy in this heatwave.....

rosanna said...

Hallo Norma, welcome back. Roanna

Chelle said...

Welcome back!

Catherine said...

Welcome back Norma!!!

You did a great job on that cabinet! It's a beautiful color.

Claudia said...

Hi Norma! Love what you did with the cabinet - quite a dramatic change!

xo
Claudia

Christine said...

I love the blue you have chosen. I is a different and much lovelier piece of furniture now.

Jollie said...

Hi Norma, welcome back :)
You did a wonderful job on that cabinet, it looks beautiful :)

Warm hugs (allthough it is pretty cold here in Greece at the moment), Jollie

C said...

Hi Norma, Your cupboard is beautiful. I love pieces like that that have a history to them. I think your colour choice is great. Welcome back to blogland. I hope that awful cyclone does not affect you in Sydney - think it is more north of Cairns. Look forward to more minis when you are back 'in business'. Best wishes, Carol x

Flora said...

Here I am as well: welcome back!
Superb the new look of the cabinet: the furnishings retain a charm that is enhanced with each new owner :-)
I hope that the heat would allow you to dedicate yourself to the French brocante soon.
Here they beat the teeth of the cold and is equally difficult to hold the brush and cutter :-)
Mini hugs, Flora

Glenda said...

Welcome back to blogland, Norma :)
Love the vibrant blue on the cabinet!

Enjoy the air-con, while polishing your halo!

Margaret said...

Good to see you back Norma, love your cabinet makeover. I haven't been doing much more than leaving comments so far this year, my poor blog is being neglected. But in this weather (40-degrees here yesterday, and dry winds) can't seem to get into mini-ing.

Mercedes Spencer @ Liberty Biberty said...

The cabinet looks great Norma! Very pretty colour!
Mercedes

Anonymous said...

You have done a geat job on the cabinet. The red flowers and white ones look lovely - they must be from your garden :-)